Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Spring and Summer and Gustav Mahler

Dear Hearts,

Traveling once more with my old friend "insomnia". Not another soul in the lounge this evening on the Queen Victoria from Ponta Delgada to Southampton save a very talented mixologist named Gustav.


Although skilled in his profession and lovely to gaze upon, his conversational skills could use a polish. He longs to return to his first love, music. Tending to the needs of thirsty travelers seems to be merely a fall back position.

I am reminded, by said steward, of Gustav Mahler who was once quoted as saying, "With the coming of spring, I am calm again." Oh, how I wish I could have said the same dear Gustav.

While not unpleasant, Spring was quite, maybe even overly, eventful. Hence, my lack of keeping you informed of my travels. Trade shows, meetings, seeing and being seen was both exhaustive and exhilarating. More than once I lay abed dreaming of relaxing along the Champs-Elysee knitting gifts for friends, but that was not to be. Spring is a time for the busiest of bees and, all told, busy is good and this year fleeting.

Alas, June is upon us as is The National Needle Arts Summer Market. This year it's being held in Washington, D.C. I do hope to see a few of you there. I know that I am excited to be heading back to the capitol. It has been years since I've walked the mall and smelled the cherry blossoms.

My father was stationed in Washington when I was a child. Mother and he held many a tony party. Black ties, beautiful gowns, and I'm sure more than a little political intrigue were the rage. I would sneak out of my bedroom in the night and listen from atop the staircase to the goings on and dream of being in the middle of it all chatting and laughing.

Now I am to return. Warm feelings abound. I am actually quite excited to see how the city has changed. I hear there are many new museums, but the old ones hold many fond memories for me. I will also be seeing my dear friends Talitha Kuomi and Vivian who will be releasing their new book, "The Voyages of Vivian" at The Market. 


They were kind enough to send me a preview and I think the patterns are just divine. Of course, the yarn is no slouch, but it would be bold of me to say so.



I told her we just must have copies at the booth and we shall.

But for now I must leave dear Gustav and see if I can locate Mr. Sandman. Hopefully I can coax him into sending me to Dreamland for a titch.

Yours Ever,
Mrs. Crosby
Somewhere over the Pacific

No comments:

Post a Comment