Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Flowers most Divine

Dear hearts,

With a heavy sigh I watch the final days of summer wane. At the same time, my soul flutters at the thought of fall and all its glorious color. 

My travels this year have taken me far and wide. In February, I visited the Chiang Mai Flower Festival. The dancers, in their traditional costumes, were enchanting. I was fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of one of them and whiled away an afternoon over tea with her. I may have even learned a thing or two. 

May found me in Medellin where their flower festival celebrates the end of slavery in the most beautiful way. Come June, I walked the floral carpets of the Genzano Infiorata Flower Festivals in Italy. I was sorely tempted to pick a bloom, but decorum prevailed.



Next month, I am off to Bloemencorso in Zundert. I am told it is the largest festival of its kind in the world. One can never have enough tulips, can one?

Why, pray tell, am I regaling you with the bits and bobs of my little trips? Well, all the blooms made me positively giddy with the prospect of putting color onto yarn. Our newest offerings are bursting with that excitement, seven brand new colors celebrating the bounty of the bud.

They are in order:

Buttercup
Walking through a field in northwest New York earlier this year, I was taken by the beauty of the buttercup. Did you know that the scientific name of a buttercup is "Ranunculus" originating from the Latin meaning "little frog"? I assume that is because buttercups often inhabit areas near the water, just like small frogs. It certainly isn't from the lovely yellow hues. Although, one does suppose there are yellow frogs somewhere. I will have to see about that.


Foxglove
The dramatic spikes of tubular flowers with speckled throats was the beginning of my inspiration for this lovely colorway. Foxglove blooms in midsummer and I believe add an elegance to a perennial border and woodland areas. Of course, while pink and white are generally the color of Foxglove, I was more intrigued by the notion of a small, well dressed mammal having tea at the corner of a shade garden. Whimsy is the spice of life.


Hosta
Truly one of my favorite perennials. Easy to take care of and elegant in its own way, I see Hosta all over the world. Whether in front of an embassy or in a shade garden behind a close friend's cottage, the Hosta is as ubiquitous as it is beautiful.


Hydrangea
Mother's favorite blossom was the genesis here. I do love the colorful options this dear offers, but I am a simple woman and feel the bright white base allows the other colors to pop right out to a knitter and say, "Yes, dear, I am more than you think I am."


Magnolia
Old, elegant and surprisingly tough, the Magnolia is a flower I come back to time and again. It is said to be an "ancient" plant appearing on Earth even before bees. I like to think that the industrious honey bee created themselves just to help pollinate this blossom.


Pansy
My favorite wildflower, the Pansy, is truly amazing.. Whether in a small annual garden or wildly sticking up through the cracks in a sidewalk, I encounter them at every turn. The name, I do believe, is derived from the French word pensée or thought. Why, I wonder? A little research is in order. 


Tiger Lily
Fondly known as the Ditch Lily, the Tiger Lily can be found in and around ditches in large parts of America. For some that would make it something to stay away from, but for me, the wilder the better.





I do hope you enjoy the beauty of my "flowers" and that they will bring as much inspiration into your life as they have into mine.

Yours Ever,
Mrs. Crosby

Contentedly traveling somewhere over the Pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment